Wednesday, December 8, 2010

ANDY'S GOTY AWARDS, Part III

Part три

I refuse to beat around the bush on this subject, so let's get down to it. The overall greatest game released this year is...

Overall Game of the Year


2010 was a pretty lame year in gaming overall - a few stand-out indie hits penetrating the rather dire shovelware sequels like New vegas, Reach, Black Ops, and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. I've mentioned in by VVVVVV review how the independants totally kicked the asses of the mainstreams, both in terms of sheer quality as well as the usual innovation that indies have no choice but to fall back on - so my Overall Game of the Year is an indie game (no surprise). It's a game about a red cuboid of meat saving a pink cuboid of bandages, being constantly harassed by a fetus in a jar wearing a tux. A game that made me laugh out loud in joy and weep in frustration. Any game that can influence the player emotionally to such high degrees just cannot go by unnoticed. We must stand up and take notice. NES-inspired platforming with a dash of the Satanic - yes, it is Team Meat's magnum opus Super Meat Boy.

Winner: Super Meat Boy
Runners-up: Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse, LIMBO, VVVVVV

Reader Game of the Year


In part один I asked you all to tell me what your personal Game of the Year was! Someone answered Assassin's Creed 2... a game that came out in 2009. So failing to get a worthwhile answer out of Blogger, I moved on to Facebook and Twitter, asking the question - "what was your personal GOTY?" I got a wide array of answers! ...unfortunately, perhaps, too wide. No two people said the same game. So, with the votes tabulated and every game given an equal score of "1," I've decided just to go with the latest answer given to me. So celebrate your mild victory, Metro 2033... a game I am yet to play. Well it's by the creators of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, so I have no doubt it would be beautifully atmospheric and downright creepy as shit in some sections, while having crappy inventory juggling in others, with heavy drinking throughout. Oh well. A petty victory is a victory nontheless. Go Metro 2033!

Winner: METRO 2033
Runners-up: Mass Effect 2, Assassin's Creed 2

Well, that's 2010 over! In 2011 there's a few games I'm looking forward to - namely, Portal 2, Portal 2, Portal 2, Portal 2, Portal 2, Portal 2, and, of course, the sequel to the best game of 2007, Portal 2. I'm going to take a break from all this gaming now, to prepare for University starting in February next year - look out for my New Years Resolution special of Retard Jamboree, but until then - have a merry and safe Christmas, and may all your headshots be cheap as fuck. Happy holidays!

Normal programming will resume shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment